Monday, January 23, 2012

Physical Training and Diet Regime

As my New Year's Resolution, I decided it was time to get fitter and healthier again. I have the time for it, and some people have suggested it's a good way of staving of depression, a state that I'm currently only holding at bay with the power of anger.

My regime is simple, because I want it to last, and I have a habit of overengineering everything, that I want to break. So on the diet side, it's very simple - I'm just not eating between meals. This is extremely difficult in practice, because I work from home, and my frequent breaks typically involve some kind of food or drink. So I'm restricting this to only drinks, and then only those with no nutritional value, which practically means either water, or tea or coffee. Unfortunately, this mostly meant coffee in the first week, until I realized that it was an even worse addiction than snacking, and cut it back to 3 per day. The rest is either tea or water.

So far (3 weeks) I haven't lost any weight. I pretty much expected this, because my body has probably decided to store what I do eat more efficiently, reasoning that perhaps I'm going through some kind of external privation, so whatever fat I have should be hoarded. I'm not letting it bother me (well OK, I did swear at the scales this morning a little bit), because the plan is for a long gradual and sustainable drop in weight, and the main priority is to become more healthy and fit. If I actually get heavier because my body decides muscle is currently a priority, then so be it (for the meantime). At some point, that extra muscle will have to eat the fat.

The exercise regime is even simpler - 30 mins of hard exercise every day. Fortunately I found my Polar watch under the couch whilst cleaning up after Christmas, because I have a very poor ability to judge what "hard" means and tend to conflate it with "until it fucking hurts". Whereas the watch, with the heart rate monitor I bought it for (for only $70, 5 years ago! Nowadays the identical item costs $200! But don't get me started on what's fucked about technology these days), using a simple formula based on my age and weight, told me off the very first time I used it for massively overtraining, an alarm screaming at me, with an arrow telling me to get my heart rate down, NOW. So anyways, now I aim to keep my heart in the 150 - 170 range, rather than around 220 like my trainers would have been screaming at me to maintain in most sports. Turns out that having a high pain threshold was really just risking a heart attack.

There's 2 exercises I'm starting with until I get some basic fitness: Cycling and running. Cycling because I have been doing it for a few years now, and running because, well, because it's a basic human activity that I'd like to still be able to do.

Things started well, I managed a 30 minute run, around 4 km. I had to stop and walk a lot, and my calves hurt like a bitch for a few days, but basically I was pleased that I can still actually run. With cycling, I have to push myself - so far my cycling has been only for enjoyment, so I've kept to "moderate" heart rates. To actually push into the "hard" heart rate, I have to push so that my legs begin to ache.

But I have suffered a setback. On my third run, pleased that I seemed to have already got a bit faster, I felt something pop in my calf area, and the pain suggesting a lightly pulled muscle. I wasn't entirely sure, so I carried on, hoping it would perhaps just run off after a bit, but no, it was pulled all right, and it's still not healed over 10 days later. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to affect my cycling at all, so I've been doing that, harder each time. In 3 weeks I've lifted my average speed around Auckland from 20km/h to 24km/h, which is pretty good, considering this comes with an injury.

The plan is to go in month long cycles, reevaluating at the end of each one. At the end of this month, I'll probably up the length of the exercise to 45 mins, although I'm rather nervous about doing this with running. For that, I'll probably keep it at 30 mins, and intersperse in 15 mins of walking. I also want to widen the kind of training - adding swimming, and calisthenic stuff, my own regime adapted from 15 years of martial arts training. Mixing up shadow boxing with knee walking, breakfalling, pressups, burpies, that sort of thing. We'll see, it's not the end of the month yet. My aim for the year is to do 1 hour of hard exercise daily, involving most of the things I like (or once liked) to be able to do. If all of those exercises end up feeling like cycling does right now, I'll be happy, and if I haven't lost any weight, I'll be bloody surprised (but not particularly bitter).

I do already feel fitter, injury aside. At the end of a hard cycle, I feel a bit tired for the 5-10 mins it takes to return to resting pulse, but there is a sustained feeling that I can only say feels to me like what a lot of people say Ecstasy is like (it had no effect on me at all, so far as I could tell). A feeling of wellness, and relaxedness, and a bit smiley. Presumably it's endorphins or something like it.

4 comments:

  1. OK, so I lied above. I couldn't wait until the end of the month to increase the hours, and immediately after making that post went for a 30 mins hard bike ride to the city, drank some water, and then dawdled home at a leisurely pace. Interestingly, my heart rate monitor said I burned more calories on the way home! Probably because it was a little further and took twice as long. End result, I don't feel twice as exhausted as yesterday at all, in fact I feel exactly the same, but have apparently done twice as much exercise.

    My main reason for 30 mins is time constraints - who has time for 90 mins exercise every day? But I was bored of all the places that I can get to that are only 15 mins away (and 15 back).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, everyone in my family has been shedding weight with the low-carb diet. My brother lost 40 pounds in a month, I kid you not, and according to him, without being hungry. Basically, he cut the carbs, going with proteins, fats, and high-fiber vegetables. Exercising to lose weight is usually counterproductive, because our apetite increases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pretty sure I could lose weight much faster by tighter dietary control than by exercise. But losing weight isn't my top priority. I'm aiming to be healthier first. Also, I'm doing this for the long haul, so I don't want to set up eating habits I can't maintain. So I'm basically slowly cutting down my intake, maintaining a balanced diet. I'm pretty sure that at some point a balance point will be reached, and weight loss will begin. I don't actually want it to be particularly rapid.

      Thanks for your comment, though, I have heard that the low-carb diets are very good for weight loss.

      Delete
  3. I went on a reduced carb diet years ago and I've managed to maintain it. I lost heaps of weight almost immediately, and it stayed lost.

    Changing the food you eat is a challenge to daily habits of course (though so is exercise), but what I found was I could substitute vegetables for carbs and still feel full. I could throw out (or drastically reduce) potatoes, or pasta, or rice, or bread from my evening meal and replace it with any amount of e.g. cabbage. Coleslaw, fried cabbage, etc, etc. Cabbage is cheap and fairly compact in the fridge, easy to prepare, and provides plenty of dietary bulk (it fills you up).

    And ating lots of cabbage is itself very good for your health.

    After a while the high-vegetable diet starts to seem very normal and natural, and it's no longer a real effort.

    ReplyDelete