Monday, September 17, 2012

Tutorials are officially shitting me off now

I'm going to downgrade my evaluation of maths tutorials so far from educationally useless to having negative educational utility (for me, in both cases). I had to go in just for a tutorial, both yesterday and today. In an hour, I got through about as much as I would in 20 minutes if I were studying on my own. Yesterday, I drove in and parked there, so the travel time was 30 minutes and the cost was $4 for the parking and about $5 for the petrol. So I got 20 minutes worth of study done in 90 minutes and  it cost me $9. Today, I parked and bussed, so the petrol cost is a little less, covered by the extra bus cost, but there was no parking cost. However, the travel time was doubled. So I got 20 minutes of study done in 120 minutes, and it cost me around $5. I justified the extra 30 minutes by thinking I'd work on an assignment in the labs after the tutorial. But unfortunately MatLab would not work in the labs, so I had to come home to use it.

If these were outlying data points I'd ignore them, but unfortunately, I have not yet had one single tutorial out of the 20-odd I've now attended, that were worth the opportunity (and real) cost. So far as I can tell, they exist to extract free tutoring out of the motivated students, to give it to the other ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment